Buried Graves & Disturbing Images At the Coursin Grave Site
The Coursin Hollow Cemetery is one of those burial grounds bordered in controversy due to the extreme circumstances surrounding the abuse that the grounds has suffered from over the years. The cemetery was used as a dumping grounds for several decades, and at one time it was almost entirely covered by debris, making the headstones impossible to locate.
Sadly the cemetery was at one time all but forgotten with the majority of the graves bearing dates from the early 1800s. Located just a short distance south of the Clairton Bridge at the corner of a desolate, dead-end road, dotted with a handful of homes, the eerily quiet Coursin Road is easy to miss for those who are unfamiliar with it's whereabouts when driving on the stretch of road between Glassport and Elizabeth, Pennsylvania.
The cemetery is no longer visible to those driving pass Coursin Road. The USS Steel Mill can be seen just across the Monongahela River, a prominent reminder of those who made the valley strong, and of the men and women who made history, some who are buried at the forgotten cemetery. Because of the neglect and the blatant disgrace of the historic cemetery, the old burial grounds have become a hot topic where paranormal activity and ghost sightings are concerned. When driving or walking along Lincoln Blvd late at night, near the turn for Coursin Road, it comes as no shock that many witnesses have reported seeing streaks of light from the foliage covered hillside, floating orbs and apparitions that walk in front of cars and then immediately disappear.
Several of the residents living in the hollow have witnessed unexplained events that can only be linked to the restless souls that have been forgotten. Images of ghost children, apparitions of women in long tattered dresses and men in work clothes from the early 19th century have been seen along the haunted hillside and a few have been spotted walking along the stretch of road near what should have been their final resting place, but is anything but a place of rest.
Infrared cameras easily detect distorted images when set up across the road from the Coursin-Rhodes Cemetery, near the river's edge. Along with the disturbing images, moonless nights are known to convey the sounds of rustling leaves, eerie undistinguished sounds and disembodied footsteps. September through December during the full moon, the hollow comes alive with ghostly figures peering at anyone who happens to pass by and take notice.
Dark figures have been known to walk along Lincoln Blvd, captured in car headlights only to disappear when the unsuspecting stop to take a closer look. When walking around the hollow's hillside, the EMF meter easily pick's up electromagnetic anomalies and detects environmental disturbances that are indicative of paranormal activity. During the spikes the strong fragrant odor of honeysuckle, lavender and maple are noticed while at other points the vehement stench of sulfur permeates the area.
The old graveyard in Coursin Hollow was was filled with over two-hundred graves, predating 1800 with the family names of Rhodes, Conrad, Lynch, Bell, Henry, and Edmundson, just to name a few. There are also a handful of Native Americans buried at the Cousrsin-Rhodes Cemetery. The majority of headstones cannot be read clearly, but it is known that Coursin Hollow was once known as Peach Hollow, Frantz Hollow and then it finally became known locally as Coursin Hollow after the Coursin family purchased the land surrounding the area, including the remnants of the forgotten cemetery.
The lack of care and respect shown to the dead pioneers has been a topic of debate with locals and later with each resident that has made the hollow their home. Locating the old cemetery is not an easy task due to thick trees, wild flowers and heavy foliage popular in the area, despite the obvious known layout of the graves that start just across the creek at the entrance of Coursin Road and meander all the way up the hill. Many of the graves belong to the Rhodes family with dates from 1827 through 1854.
Illegal dumping over the years has buried many of the graves, but constant rainfall has shed the hillside of some of the harmful debris, allowing for the headstones to once again be showered in sunlight and the protection from the heaven's above. The restless spirits roaming around the hollow appear to be harmless in stature, seeking only to have their final resting place once again respected and visible to those wishing to stop by and reminisce over the early settlers that made the area strong working in the local factories, steel mills, railroads, mines, river boat industry, glass industry , and the fight for American Independence.
Location: Approximately 1/4 mile south of the Glassport-Clairton bridge, just off of the Glassport-Elizabeth Road/Lincoln Blvd that runs between Glassport and Elizabeth, Pennsylvania. The forgotten Coursin-Rhodes Cemetery meanders throughout the hillside at the beginning of the hollow on Coursin Road just past the creek.
Sight of the Coursin/Rhodes Cemetery in Coursin Hollow. View from adjacent hill about 1/4 ways up from the hollow road. This hollow was originally known as Peach Hollow, over 200 years ago. It was later known as Frantz's Hollow and finally Coursin Hollow. At one time it was used as the Glassport dump.
Learn more about Sherri Granato below: