The city of Glendora, New Jersey, located in Gloucester Township, welcomes visitors to the haunted Gabreil Daveis Tavern House. The building is also known as the Hillman Hospital House and it is one of the state’s oldest historical landmarks that was once used by Revolutionary War soldiers as a place to recover from their battle wounds.
Built in 1756 by Gabreil Daveis, the tavern is the perfect location if you are into serious ghost trips embellished with a colorful history lesson. The attic of the historic tavern once served as a makeshift hospital that sadly witnessed many deaths along the way.
The residual hauntings quite possibly stem from the room still possessing the original blood stained furniture that serves as an eerie remnant from past battles. This is an area in the tavern that never rests or sleeps, making it one of the most haunted locations in the building with daily ghost-sightings from an entire cast of spirited characters who have left behind a myriad of emotionally charged energies that still lives today.
Before the bloody of battle that lasted from 1775 to 1783, the tavern served as an inn for boatmen who travelled the Big Timber Creek, transporting their much needed goods to Philadelphia. Later, during the American Revolutionary War, George Washington designated the 4th Avenue building as the location for treating wounded soldiers, because of this the tavern was once known as the Hillman Hospital House.
Today the historical tavern is a focal point for tours that give visitors a peek into history and paranormal activity like nothing they have ever witnessed before. The local volunteers often describe the building as spooky and the majority of the staff feel certain that the Gabreil Daveis is haunted by more than one ghost. Moaning sounds are often detected, almost as if someone is suffering. Lights flicker on and off and the sound of heavy boots can be heard throughout the hallways.
Since the mid-1700s, the tavern has had many different owners.....a few of them are friendly spirits who still live in the building today, protecting and watching over the property. Former owner, Joseph Jaggard is one of the noisier ghosts, but he is also helpful.
When the lights in the cellar become unpredictable, all you have to do is ask Joseph to turn them on and he complies. Rocking chairs have been seen by visitors and the volunteers swaying back and forth as if someone is sitting and rocking away, possibly enjoying a tranquil moment or reminding those watching that they are still there with them in spirit.
Ghost hunts at the tavern never fail to show even more proof that there is paranormal activity from the attic to the grounds of the historical tavern. The ghost of former resident, Mr. Shuck gave a demonstration to volunteer, Jill Maser during one of the annual ghost hunts after she stood holding a thermometer in Mr. Schuck’s former bedroom. The starting temperature read 60 degrees and dropped to 52 degrees within minutes.
The feeling of heaviness accompanies the chilly air almost as if something or someone is pushing you. It isn’t threatening, but it is not something that you can just ignore either. Other instances include volunteers, neighbors and paranormal investigators witnessing soldiers of the Revolutionary War roaming around the property in bloodied and torn uniforms. They typically vanish just as quickly as the eye takes hold of their eerie image.
Just off the Black Horse Pike, twenty-eight acres of open fields, woodlands and marshland along the northern branch of the Big Timber Creek are a hotbed of activity. Neighbors have heard what sounds like shots fired, almost as if a battle were taking place. On further inspection, it is usually discovered that this is precisely what is taking place.
Ghost soldiers are seen in their torn uniforms, reenacting the war scene over and over in what can be described as a residual haunting more than likely stemming from the highly emotionally charged energy from events that took place so long ago.
The tavern was eventually used as private home all the way up until 1976 when William F. Shuck suddenly passed away. He is buried on the property along the for east side of the grounds, near the peaceful setting of the woods and the stream. Strangely, his is the only grave on the grounds.
After his death, it was discovered that William willed the deed of the Gabriel Davies Tavern House to Gloucester Township so that it would be preserved as a historical site used for educational purposes that teach those who visit the tavern about a colorful Colonial past that allows for personal experiences into history and a world filled with paranormal encounters from visitors who physically no longer live in this world.
Location: 3rd Avenue, Glendora, New Jersey